Paraggio Barrel Medic
Paraggio Barrel Medic is a larger seeded Barrel Medic type which provides good seedling establishment and a semi erect growth habit. This makes Paraggio a good forage producer in areas receiving more than 375mm per annum. Paraggio has lower levels of hard seed than other barrel medics which assists in regeneration in following years.
- Ph 7.0 – 8.5
- Very high leaf to stem ratio means Paraggio is a high herbage producer
- Prostrate in early growth, with prolific branching
- Resistant to blue green aphid
- Very leafy cultivar with excellent herbage and feed / hay quality characteristics
Seed agronomy table
|Min Rainfall (mm)||375|
|High Rainfall / Irrigation||15-20|
Enterprises for this SeedSheep
Hay & Silage
- Palatable at all growth stages, including dead leaves and stems, and seedpods over summer.
- High nutritive value with high protein content.
- Fixes atmospheric nitrogen, benefiting cereal crops grown in rotation.
- As a grass-free pasture in rotation with cereals it is a disease break for various cereal pathogens including cereal cyst nematode, root lesion nematode, take-all and crown rot.
- Provides non-selective weed control options for reducing risk of herbicide resistant weeds in cropping phases (eg grazing, green manuring, hay production, spray-topping).
- Hardseeded and once established will maintain a soil bank of seed reserves and will self-regenerate from that seed bank.
- More productive and persistent in low rainfall areas than sub clover.
- Outstanding complementary legume component for summer growing grass pastures in the subtropics.
- Must not be sown too deeply.
- Winter production can be slow if autumn rains are late.
- Not well adapted to soils with pH(water) < 6.5, deep sands, waterlogged or moderately saline areas.
- Herbicide options for broadleaf weed control are limited.
- Seed harvest requires specialist vacuum harvesting machinery.
- Lush and/or pure stands can cause animal health problems.